Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Handmade for the Holidays - DIY Wreath

Nothing says the holidays like a wreath!  My mother-in-law (aka Mama Jules) taught me how to make wreaths a couple years ago, and it is so much simpler than you'd think.

What you'll need:
  • A wreath frame (can be found at any crafts store for pretty inexpensive)
  • Floral wire
  • Pruning clippers
  • Trees and shrubs (I found all my greenery from my back yard)








First, take your clippers and go cut clippings from your trees/shrubs.  You don't need it to all be from pine trees, I include a few branches from a yellow bush.  Now that you have all your clippings bring them inside.  You will need to take a few sprigs and bunch them together.  Wrap the bottoms together with the floral wire and snip the end of the wire with your clippers to cut.
Depending on the size of your wreath frame you will need anywhere from 15-40 of these bunches.  For my wreath I had about 25.  To know how many bunches you will need you can place them around your wreath frame as you go and once it looks full make two more for good measure then call it good.  In the picture below I am using a smaller wreath frame; however, the picture of the final product is a big frame. 
Now that you have all of your bunches made place one on your wreath frame.  Take your floral wire and wrap once around both the frame and the bunch.  I usually wrap the end of the wire around the frame itself once to keep it in place.  Now add your second bunch and wrap the wire around that bunch and the frame.  Keep adding until you've made it all the way around the wreath.  After you have made it all around cut your wire and secure it by wrapping it around one more time around the frame. Now you are finished, just hang on your door and enjoy!  Let me know how yours turns out.  Would love to see pics of your own homemade wreaths.
 
Linked up at: 

No comments:

Post a Comment