Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Checkbook Cover Tutorial

I finally got fed up with my flimsy plastic checkbook cover that my bank gave me.  So decided to make my own!

What you'll need:
  • 1 piece of outer fabric, 1 piece of inner fabric, 2 pieces of fusible interfacing each piece cut to 8" x 14"
  • Sewing Machine
  • Iron
  • A junky checkbook cover you want to replace!
1)  Fuse your interfacing to the wrong sides of the fabric, following instructions on the package
2)  Placing right sides together, sew 1/4" from the edge of the fabric leaving a couple inch gap on one of the short ends (for turning)
3)  Clip the corners
4) Turn inside out and push out the corners (I use the back of a skewer to push the corners out, but any stick-like object would work i.e. pen, chopstick, twig)

5)  Using your iron press all of the seams and make sure to press in the few inches that you left open to turn right side out.  You should end up having a long rectangle like this:


6)  Sew 1/8" from the edge on both of the short ends of the checkbook cover
7)  Using a checkbook fold over fabric to the desired height and pin in place (can you tell I don't like measuring?).  Do this on both ends of your fabric
8)  Sew 1/4" around the entire outside edge of your cover
9)  Fold in half and press seam with your iron.  Insert your checkbook and you're finished!



Pretty easy, huh?  And way better than the plastic one!

21 comments:

  1. Easy Peasy! And Oh so cute! I love the print you used :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute idea. Those plastic things do just fall apart like nothing else.

    ~M

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for linking up on my LET'S SEW project linky!! Love the checkbook cover!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant! Now why didn't I think of that? I love the fabric you chose. Very stylish!
    http://shannonsews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Katie, pop on over to Vintage Pollyanna today! I've got a surprise for you! ;-)

    http://vintagepollyanna.blogspot.com/2011/01/200-followers-and-blog-awards.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great tute. Sweet print. Now I know what interfacing is for...LOL...I have a lot to learn about sewing...

    Thanks for linking up to Creative Juice Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great tutorial and I love the fabric choice!!! New follower of yours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Killer fabric choice!

    Thanks for visiting me and leaving a comment! I look forward to seeing your next projects!

    Alicia {ProtoDoom.com}

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute! I would probably carry my checkbook if mine were this cute!
    Thanks for linking up to Making It With Allie! I can't wait to see what you have for next week!
    AllieMakes.Blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. this is so cute! and you did a great job on this check book tutorial!


    Please come by and link this to my party!

    WWW.TOOTSIEWOOTSIEBOUTIQUE.BLOGSPOT.COM

    And i have a great Giveaway going one for ITHINKSEW.COM!


    -THE TOOTSIE WOOTSIE :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am going to be having a Linky party this weekend. Starting Friday and ending on Sunday, (Jan 21-23). I would love for you to come and participate! www.thecraftysideoflife.blogspot.com

    I love your blog!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like this fabric - very modern!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Katie-

    Love all your projects from the past few weeks...

    Your newest follower,
    Nicolette

    ReplyDelete
  14. That is cute! I need to make one! Your tutorial looks easy enough. Thanks for sharing with air your laundry Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  15. this is so cute. I really need one of those.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I really want to tell you that everyone have to buy one checkbook cover because they are really good and can safe you
    so much space!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello nice note thanks for share..Ordering Checks online is a lot easier than most people realize. It takes only a few minutes from start to finish.Find your bank

    ReplyDelete
  18. Does this pattern fit normal sized checkbooks?

    ReplyDelete